Snohomish County Youth Council
Empowering teens to transform their community through civic participation, the Snohomish County Youth Council is a community-based partnership with youth mentorship organizations in Snohomish County and Providence Institute for a Healthier Community. Initially formed in 2015, in collaboration with Boys and Girls Clubs of Snohomish County and Seattle CityClub, the Council identified the top areas of concern for themselves and their peers:
- Addiction – Including Drugs, Alcohol, Electronics, and Caffeine
- Violence – Including Bullying, Cyber-Bullying, and Gangs
- Relationships – Including depression and relationships with Parents, Boy/Girlfriends, and peers
And it’s no wonder, all across our county, teens are struggling with issues like addiction, bullying and challenged relationships both at home and with their peers. These issues persist, in spite of the excellent work by many local organizations. To address the rising needs of youth, the Snohomish County Youth Council has expanded to connect partners and resources, to improve collaboration within a youth-led, “leaders of leaders” model. We believe that by working together as a network of organizations, we can increase awareness and engage youth in new ways; while increasing our capacity to positively impact the health and well-being for youth in Snohomish County.
This expanded group of dedicated and passionate youth have narrowed down the original areas of concern, noting. Relationships are the root cause of all of the issues. The Youth Council is working to educate their peers on the “Power of Relationships”; the effects positive relationships can have on their community.
Youth Council members meet monthly to work towards making a positive impact on issues that matter to kids and teens in Snohomish County. Throughout 2019 Council members will create a recruitment strategy to increase participation and awareness of the Youth Council efforts. If you’re between the ages of 13-18, download our enrollment form to learn more!
We are currently seeking organizations and professionals throughout Snohomish County to donate their services to help Youth Council members with their efforts to transform their communities. Opportunities are available for:
- Mentorship – With so many smart and talented individuals throughout the county, we are seeking those who wish to take an active role in the lives of the youth and their program development.
- Advocacy – We are looking for community leaders to speak on behalf of their causes.
- Education – We need professionals from all areas who are willing to speak with the clubs about community and health issues.
- Communication expertise – we are looking for designers, marketers, videographers who can help kids get the word out.
- Other Contributions – We are looking for individuals and organizations who would like to support the youth programs through in-kind or direct contributions.
If you are interested in volunteering your time, contact Youth Council Executive Sponsor, Michelle Morford, at email@example.com or (425) 261-3344.